So, WHAT'S Katie up to???

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Studio #3

This is my workspace. It doesn't look like much, but it has all I need: drawings, music on the computer (and my screensaver with my favourite pics of home), the 'easel' with the panels(s) I'm working on, and my little stool to sit on. Behind the camera is a big worktable where I place each panel to air dry for a day or so before off-brushing the excess stain to soften the image.

I can't seem to manage to sculpt more than one panel per day; but I am getting into a rhythm where I have 3 or 4 panels on the go at once, each at a different stage of completion. And I'm figuring out small ways to speed up the work. So, eventually, I may be able to turn out more than one panel each day. But it's pretty draining work as it is.

Yesterday's panel was 'bathing ladies', which I stained this morning and trimmed (cut out the excess clay from the back of each tile) this evening, after I had sculpted the one below. The look will be much softer after the excess stain has been offbrushed in a day or two.
Another 'bathing lady', ready to be cut into tiles and stained tomorrow.
The full harvest moon rising over the house across the way from the studio. Rumour has it that, at the same time I was watching this beautiful moonrise, there was a glorious sunrise over the Coast Mountains in Howe Sound.

All for today.

No comments:

Post a Comment